Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Big Pike



By: Steve Cegielski, All-Canada Show, Operations Manager

My neighbor, Randy Theobold travels to Canada each year in pursuit of the elusive 50" pike. But as a twist this year Randy took along his 15 year old daughter, Morgan. What an experience to share with his daughter. We need more Dad's to share their passion with young adults....I believe Morgan's hooked for life now. She shared some thoughts about the trip....her memories.

Not many 15 year old girls would be willing to go on a six day fishing trip with their Dad. Well, I’m the exception. I got the opportunity to go on my first fishing trip ever, in Canada, with my Dad this summer and I had the best time of my life. My Dad has come back from Wollaston Lake Lodge year after year now, always excited about what had happened in the week that he was there. And now I know why. It was such a neat experience for me. I went on a float plane for the first time in my life and it was so cool! I also saw (and caught) the biggest fish I have ever seen. I loved our guide, Brian. He was so patient and he knew everything there was to know about Wollaston Lake, which is around 800 square miles!! He always made me laugh, made the best fish during shore lunch, and he always had cookies in the boat for me!
It could be debatable which day was my favorite. The first day I caught my biggest fish which was a 43 inch pike. But the last day was by far the best. We drove an hour and a half in a boat to a fishing spot, which is a long time, but totally worth it. We caught 187 pike that day and about 30 of the fish were over 35 inches! That is the most pike our guide has ever gotten in his boat in one day after working there for about 15 years. When we were fishing we noticed a big rock in the middle of the bay and we thought it would be funny to let me fish off of it. Brian told me that if I caught a fish, he would name it Morgan Rock. I did! Just a little guy, but he still counted! We caught 418 northern in 4 days!!
If you ever get a chance to go to Saskatchewan, I highly recommend it. I had an amazing time in Northern Saskatchewan and I am already begging to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment