Thursday, August 26, 2010

Saskachewan Lake Trout


By: Steve Cegielski, All-Canada Show, Operations Manager
Traveling north of the border with three other hungry Northern Pike fanatics set the competition bar high. I knew I probably had the least experience when it came to tangling with the toothy monsters of Saskatchewan. I've chased my fair share of large pike, but I'm truly a walleye fisherman that dabbles with pike. Don't get me wrong I love the pike beasts and desired the trophy as much as the next guy. But on this trip the Veteran skill prevailed just like I could have perdicted. I did tangle with quite a few nice pike, but left the heavy lifting to the veterans. As a group we boated 10 pike over 40 inches...not bad for a 4 day trip!

So if you can't beat them at their game switch gears and try something new. I'll be the first to admit I have limited knowledge of Lake Trout and their desired habitat, but I'm learning quickly. Lakers have intrigued me for the past year, I've trolled the depths of lakes and landed my share of Lakers, but jigging in 100 ft of water has peaked my attention.

Well that's where I found my self last week....we were between pike honey holes and the guide took the oppurtunity to float drift over a Laker hang out. Quickly with light walleye gear I tied on a heavy jig with gulp attached and lower to the depths. Not 5 minuites into the drift I hooked a large 30" - 10lb plus healthy Laker that wanted nothing to do with the waters surface. With 6lb test mono I had my hands full to pursuade the Lake Trout to the surface....what a fight, my forearm still aches after that fight.

Now the fire has been fueled with alittle sucess. I need to study the Laker and their tendencies, so I"m prepared to target them on my next trip north to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment