Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pike -- Muskie??


By: Steve Cegielski, All-Canada Show Operations Manager
Back a few years I had the privilege of fishing the waters of Shoal Lake. Shoal Lake is connected to Lake of the Woods near Kenora, ON. We stayed at Shoal Lake Lodge and harassed the Northern Pike and Smallmouth Bass all week.

Bass were not feeding the first half of the week, so we trolled the depths of Shoal Lake looking for active Pike. Many 35”plus Pike took the 9-13” Grandma baits that week including my heaviest pike to date – 25lb monster.

Even though Muskie are common on certain parts of Lake of the Woods we didn’t hook any that week, unless you consider the picture of an unusual looking fish my friend Jeff caught, a Muskie? Strange looking Pike, we figure it’s some sort of cross between a Pike and a Muskie?

I’ve asked a few locals to the area about the fish and nobody can give me an explanation or reason for the unusual fish. This fish was released, so I hope someone has the chance to land this unique trophy in a larger size this summer.

2 comments: