Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fishing Tales


By: Steve Cegielski, Operations Manager
Any trip to Canada produces fish stories that are hard to believe....Like the guy who boated 200 walleyes in one day. Wow, can you believe that or is that an exageration. We all tend to stretch the truth when it comes to fishing. There's no such thing as a 39.5" Pike in my books....that's getting dangerously close to a 41" pike in my books. Just kidding, but you know what I mean. I do make a point to accurately measure my large fish for personal reasons...I need to know my personal best.

Last summer my youngest son Max (6 years old) created his own fish story that will last a lifetime and I doubt if it can be repeated.

I spent the after dinner hours out trolling for Pike with Max one night during our family trip to a Northwest Ontario Fly-In outpost- Pipestone Oupposts. We spent nearly 2 hours just chatting about fishing and Canada. We were almost back to the outpost dock when I mentioned to Max to start reeling up his spoon when he said "Dad, I have a fish." Great, last second fish. As he was reeling in I questioned his fish, and he was adament that he had a fish, so he kept reeling. I now could see his spoon and no fish attached. I grabbed his line and also could feel the tug of the fish. That's an odd feeling....I could see his lure and feel a fish. Well he didn't have a fish on his lure, but had hooked someone else's line with a lure attach with a pike on that lure. I hand over hand reeled in the loose line to land his Pike. Wow, that's a first, pike for a snack and a nice spoon to fill the tackle box.

Fish stories are awesome....always eager to hear more. Hope your trips to Canada create life long stories that will be told for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment