Monday, October 19, 2009

Canadian Anchor


Steve Cegielski, operations manager - Normally walleye fishing means back tolling live bait rigs or hovering the boat over structure, while slow jigging. I’ve mastered the art of multi tasking while fishing. Keeping the boat in position while tying a jig, baiting the hook, jigging, or netting a fish, takes practice.

Well my last Canadian fishing trip included my young fishing partners, my boys. There is a limit to how much multi tasking can be done. I can handle my equipment and maneuver the boat, but now I needed to untangle lines, bait their hooks, and of course divide the snacks, so I had to call on an anchor to stay on the walleye’s.

Anchoring is usually not the best method, even thought it might seem to be the easiest method to stay over structure. You’re limited to only one exact location, while usually the boat is hovering over a larger area picking up the most active walleye.

Since we were on an Ontario Fly-In fishing trip weight was an issue. Problem solved with a basketball net and 25ft of 3/8 nylon rope. For under $6.00 dollars and even more importantly; under 1 pound I had an anchor that when filled with rocks would hold the boat even in heavy current.

First tie all the loops on one end together with a piece of the 3/8 inch rope. Fill the net with 3-4 medium size rocks and tie the top loops with the remaining rope.

Happy to say that anchor lasted the whole week of fishing and I passed it along to the next group.

Sometimes you have to comprised when walleye fishing to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment