Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mosquitoe Relief


By: Steve Cegielski, All-Canada Show
Mosquitoes….the one creature I can live without. It’s amazing how much impact such a small insect can have any outdoor activity especially hunting and fishing in Canada. We’ve all been pestered by mosquitoes one time or another and in the past we’ve only had a few options to eradicate the pesky insect. I personally dislike any spray-on repellent because of the residue that it leaves behind, not to mention the aroma that spooks big game. My only remedy was to stay in the breeze or retreat indoors during periods of intense mosquitos’ activity.

Thanks to a relatively new product called ThermaCELL swatting mosquitoes while
Filleting fish, relaxing by the fire, fishing off the dock, and camping are only a distant memory. I’m hooked on the ThermaCELL as a personal mosquito repellent without the negative effects of traditional sprays. I highly recommend all outdoors enthusiasts to check out Cabela’s to purchase their own ThermaCELL.

Under intense testing the ThermaCELL unit rated off the charts in my opinion. My first test was under an extreme attack from mosquitoes while turkey hunting over Memorial Day weekend. About 10am Saturday morning the mosquito attack became overwhelming. I had two choices, leave or give the ThermaCELL a test under unfair conditions. I must admit when I pulled the ThermaCELL from the backpack I had my doubts. I remember thinking we only have a few minutes or our escape back to the truck will be on a dead run. My hunting partner Alex Pelishek was getting eaten alive. I fired up the ThermaCELL and placed it against the tree we were leaning and with 5 minutes it was eerily quite. The buzzing was gone. The true testament was when I watched Alex do the famous head bob and struggling to keep his eye lids open from our 3:30am wake-up call. Nobody can sleep while a thousand blood sucking insects gnaw at every inch of exposed skin.

I’ve since tested the ThermaCELL under normal situations – deck, fishing, and camping all with outstanding results. You’ll see a mosquito enter the ThemaCELL zone and immediately retreat-awesome.

I intend to put it to the test on fishing trips to Canada this year. I’m curious about black flies, and other biting insects.

I wish I would have had this product while spring black bear hunting in Manitoba a few years back. I think my hearing was damaged by the buzzing sound I dealt with that week. The sound could drive you crazy.

Always eager to hear how you’ve used your ThermaCELL and applications that worked or didn’t work out. One question left to answer….what effect does the slight odor of the warm repellent pad have on big game like deer, bear, moose etc. Drop me a quick email…if you’ve used in hunting applications.

Bottom line the ThermaCELL allows me to enjoy the outdoors longer which means more chances to catch that trophy fish or bag that big game trophy. It has changed the way I think about outdoor activities forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment