Friday, April 9, 2010

Canada fishing opener will be HOT


Norm McCreight, All-Canada Show spokesperson - It wasn't long ago that I was heading north to Winnipeg thru North Dakota and Minnesota admiring their snow cover. Every year the flood waters of the Red River Valley seem to haunt us. This year they had lots of snow, but nothing compared to the past. Right now the river has ceased rising and flooding isn't going to happen…great news.

NW Ontario ice-out is going to be early…in fact the Fort Francis Times is reporting Rainy Lake could set an all-time record for early ice-out, so ice will be all gone well before normal. This is a far cry from last year’s late ice-out.

Yesterday my friend Stan and I went for a run to the east side of Manitoba. The rivers are open and have been open for a while and the lakes have candled and are ready to go as soon as the wind blows. Northwestern Ontario is in the same shape.

This spring though looks like one of those no brainers…the fishing should be HOT everywhere. Early ice-out means an early spawn and quicker spawning period. We can have a true spring opener with walleye and northern in a consistent pattern just like I say in my seminars. My first three trips will be in Northwestern Ontario; two in lakes and one river system. I’ll use soft baits for the walleye and faster plugs and spoon for the pike. I’ll probably start off with medium size baits.

A slow presentation is my preferred starting point and then I’ll speed it up and see what the fish react to the best, and that should get me results quickly. All my reels are back from the repair shop all cleaned and ready to go. Next up though is our annual turkey hunt…gobble, gobble, gobble!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment