Tuesday, June 22, 2010


By:Steve Cegielski, All-Canada Show, Operations Manager
Traveling in Canada’s wilderness areas provides lots of opportunity to view wildlife in their natural surroundings, not like at the local zoo. Over the years I’ve traveled over 10,000 miles in Canada by truck or floatplane.
The view from above is awesome, when my stomach can handle looking down from above, I’ve seen moose, caribou, and bears out the float plane window.
By land many times bears have crossed the road or a bull moose standing in the ditch. I believe their lack of human interaction makes them appear more relaxed, but they do view the unknown as danger. Always take precaution when stopping to take photos, especially when viewing bear cubs…momma’s not far away.
On one All-Canada Show spring sales trip a few years back, we were traveling Hwy 101 towards Timmins, Ont. when I sighted moose. Well at first I didn’t know what I was looking at thru the windshield. I studdered Moose but my mind was thinking white horse. I hit the brakes and a white cow and two calves crossed the road behind the truck. One calf was the normal dark brown, while the second calf was almost pure white like it’s mother. I had heard the stories of the white moose in the Timmins, Ontario area, but it was awesome to see first hand.
When traveling across Canada be sure to keep the camera and video handy, you never know when the wildlife sightings will happen. Happy travels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment